Work With Us
|Position Title:||Deputy Director|
|Job Function:||Development & Administrative|
|Job Type:||Full Time, some evening and weekend hours required|
|Salary:||$45,000 - $50,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications|
|Location:||2900 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113|
|Posted:||June 15, 2017|
SPACES is a 39 year-old alternative art space that is dedicated to being the resource and public forum for artists who explore and experiment. Since 1978, SPACES has presented the work of over 9,250 artists from around the world. Each year, we produce 13 artist-driven projects and host up to 50 public events. In 2017 we threw open the doors to our new home in a highly visible and easily accessible location in the near west side of Cleveland.
SPACES seeks a Deputy Director that will have the drive to propel the organization forward and realize its potential in its new location—specifically as it relates to our development work. Reporting to the SPACES Executive Director, the Deputy Director will be responsible for critical administrative, financial, and fundraising operations. The Deputy Director will develop financial tools; guide operational and programmatic budgeting; assist with program development as it overlaps with fundraising; and contribute to strategic planning.
The Deputy Director must be willing to take on new tasks and challenges as they arise with good communication and a sense of humor, as well as serve as an ambassador for SPACES to all of its constituents.
- The Deputy Director will manage a part-time Development Associate and work alongside the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and student worker(s)/volunteers on the following responsibilities:
- Create and implement annual development plan
- Evaluate progress toward goals, prepare periodic reports on fundraising, and recommend revisions to the fundraising plan, as needed
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with corporate sponsors, foundations, and individual donors to secure financial support
- Oversee the expansion of donor prospects via research of foundation, corporate, and government funding sources including grants, sponsorships, in-kind donations, and gifts
- Grow the SPACES membership program, Season Pass
- Coordinate preparation of funding proposals and associated reports, including drafting and/or editing narratives and budgets for timely submission
- Track the use of grant funds to their restrictions by monitoring expenses and account, class, and grant assignments
- Ensure public recognition for donors
- Work closely with bookkeeper, accountant, auditor, executive director, and board executive committee to manage the preparation of SPACES audits
- Annually update the organization’s DataArts profile (formerly Cultural Data Project)
- Organize the Annual Benefit and other special events throughout the year, including attending regular meetings with ad hoc committees, soliciting sponsorship requests, and interfacing with programming staff as they solicit participation from artists
- Monitor donor database for accuracy of data entry and gift processing
- Administer and analyze data collection for support requests and reporting
- Serve as staff liaison to board Cultivation Committee
- Coordinate and cooperate with other SPACES employees to ensure the success of our artists
- Assume additional responsibilities as needed in a small office setting
- The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior fundraising experience
- Proven fluency in budget preparation, management, reporting, and cost control
- Experience with nonprofit operations
- Excellent speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills
- The ability to meet deadlines, delegate authority when appropriate, and be hands-on as needed
- A willingness to connect with leaders in the art community and enthusiasm for supporting bold experimentation in the visual arts
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks
- Familiarity with DataArts and Salesforce
- A bachelor’s or graduate degree in a relevant field and/or or significant work experience in a relevant field
No phone inquiries, please. Please submit cover letter, resume, and a relevant writing sample in a single PDF file to cvassallo@SPACESgallery.org. We will accept applications until the position is filled.
SPACES is an equal opportunity employer. Our employment policies are administered without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, or any other legally protected status except as permitted by law.
If you are interested in becoming involved with SPACES as a volunteer or work/study intern, please visit this link.
Tell us what you think.
Help continue to make SPACES one of the best places by filing out this survey and telling us what you think. MORE